March 14, 2020

Everything You Need To Know About Pioneer AVH-G115DVD

I got a request from one family member to install an audio-video entertainment in car. Hmn.. not a good idea for myself since I already satisfy with my current audio system here here and here. But I think I will do it. At least I should experience myself for having an AV head unit on car. It will also become a new review here too. So I did searching the suitable AV head unit to my car within my very low budget and end up to this Pioneer AVH-G115DVD. This head unit is very cheap, but don't compare to Chinese brand head unit, they are different class for sure. I got it for about US$100 brand new and this is what you should know about this cheap head unit which I believe no one will telling you about this.

If you just knowing this blog, then I probably should give little bit explanation to you about what I did in this blog. The unit reviewed here is mostly get by personal purchased. Sometimes loan by my friend who has the same passion in good quality audio syatem. This will make my opinion very neutral. In this post is for sure the one I purchased. Most of my review is out of the box, especially not the repetition from the information on manufacture specification or any common information that seller want you to know and buy as they granted. I more doing personal thought when using it as end user. Most of the time I did analysis and go for further components upgrade as well.

Back to this Pioneer AVH-G115DVD, this is a 2017-2018 model which same as the previous model the AVH-G105DVD. The latest model is AVH-G125DVD is also have the same feature or model or specification and all of it. So no need for you to aim the latest model in the same grade which they are basically the same. The "G" series is the low - entry level Pioneer AVH series. If you want a go to the next tier is the "A" series which all the same specification except the Bluetooth mirror link capability (yes, it is quite useful) and additional audio feature that has the time alignment and 13 band graphics equalizer. Does it matters? Yes of course. You should consider that the "G" series sound very standard quality but it is way better than the OEM car audio or Chinese made head unit for sure. The price range for "A" series is above US$160 and if this price is not bothering you, then you better going to the "A" series.

For me, I don't like playing audio file using Bluetooth connection. No matters how high your audio format and resolution, the Bluetooth is basically a radio wave that transmit data in compressed format. More over on the receiver, those data either down-sample or up-sample make the quality lower when playback. The high end Bluetooth like in the Chord Hugo doesn't impress me at all. The Chord Hugo DAC price range about US$600, so you better don't ask for the good quality of any Bluetooth on the lower price device like this Pioneer head unit series or above. The Pioneer "G" series which having this Bluetooth function is the AVH-G225BT. This Bluetooth function is for playing audio files and for calling. The price for this Bluetooth model is around US$130 and all remaining function is same as AVH-G115DVD.

Then focusing on the connection capability, the Pioneer AVH-G115DVD has the steering remote 3.5 mm jack. The Pioneer has smart feature to program the assigned button for steering remote control. It will works on every cars with or without steering remote adapter. Then the AUX input is only at the head unit back panel. This AUX input can received audio and video signal from any source you have. But since today standard is all HDMI, the connecting to this head unit you will need the HDMI to AV converter. The AUX jack is TRRS consist of Tip for Audio Left, Ring 1 for Audio Right, Ring 2 for ground, and S for Video input. This explanation is on the installation manual booklet included on the purchased box. You can make one this cable by yourself or buy the available on the market and make sure the connection is set as above configuration.

Testing the audio quality by using the iPod line out and go to AUX input of AVH-G115DVD doesn't sound good enough for me. It is sound muffled and too much reduce in sound quality. The same music files playing through the USB stick inserted at the front panel sounds better. The same music as well but in CD format insert to the CD slot of this AVH-G115DVD also sound much better. I think it is okay since this AVH-G115DVD can playing music, video, or picture slide show by using USB stick or CD or DVD, so I can forget the AUX input right away.

Okay, before jump in to the front panel, I should inform you that the parking brake sense cable which color green is for protecting the driver watching while driving for safety issue. Connecting this cable to the ground or negative will permanently disable this safety function and the head unit will keep playing the video.

The very good things about Pioneer is the user interface. It is very simple and self explanatory. The others good things is even this is the very low - entry Pioneer, the UI is very fast. No lagging or whatsoever. Thumbs up! The display is bright and has wide viewing angle. It is 800 x 480 resolution which I cannot complaining for this price point. You can only get the 720p or even the 1080p display on "Z" series Pioneer for the price above US$400. But this low resolution for car entertainment is very sufficient. I don't have any issue watching the display information from this resolution except the only complaining is the display color imbalance. The red color display too dominant. So every color that contain red will be impact to this imbalance color. The few picture setting not helping this issue at all.

For media storage, I am using the 32 GB Sandisk USB flash disk. It read the content very fast. By default it will play the music files once you put this USB on. But you can choose the other media you want to play by choose the list menu on the left display. It will give option to choose between Music, Video, or Picture. To make the content in the menu easier, I create 2 new folder on my PC, one is Music folder to store all music files on it and the other is Video which I will explain later on.

For playing music files, I prefer copied the ripped CD to AAC using the iTunes on PC. Since the AAC is more advance in term of files size and sound quality compares to MP3 files, this AAC files is also having the most compatibility with Pioneer AVH-G115DVD. I having 2 music albums that cannot be read with this head unit correctly compares to more than 50 albums I copied to the flash disk. Then for the album art, almost 30% of my album collection cannot be display on the AVH-G115DVD although on the iTunes, they display without issue. But this album cover not a big deal, the music files play smoothly without any issue.

This AVH-G115DVD has capability for playing DIVX movies. So all you need is download the DIVX converter programs from the official DIVX websites for free. Then put the output setting to Home Theater because it convert the video in same size as the display screen . Then the next step is put the video files you have on the PC to this programs then let the DIVX converter covert the video to it desired format.
Like I said earlier, the sound quality from this USB is better compares using the AUX input. Perhaps this equalizer inside this head unit is match to the overall head unit audio performance. Speaking about sound setting, I don't make any change to it. I keep the default setting "Powerful" and "Loudness" in off position. The only setting I change is at the Bass Boost +2.

Other feature like playing DVD disc is also no issue at all. The menu is just like playing DVD on a DVD Player at home. Then Radio function is quite amaze me. The digital radio broadcast information will be display on screen. It display the radio station name and the broadcast title or the songs name.

End words from me, this Pioneer AVH-G115DVD is worth for money. It has the same function and display specification as it's upper tier except the Bluetooth function which I not using it at all. Installing this head unit to my car make up my car's interior to the next level. It is looks like most today cars with screen on the dash. The audio video entertainment is sufficient for my needs except if you want the mirror link function, then no others option for you to go at least to the "A" series.  The sound quality is okay, better than your average OEM car stereo head unit for sure. But you cannot expecting more unless for further audio upgrade, this head unit give you flexibility for adding processor or amplifier because of the 2 pre-out available at the back panel of this head unit.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

2 comments:

  1. Thank u very much for writing this review, it’s so hard to find this HUD’s review. I was considering to buy a chinese HUD, but because you write that this is better than chinese HUD, I think I’ve made my choice to buy this instead. Thank u!

    But if I could ask, how big is the difference between this and chinese HUD with the same price level?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your most welcome 🙏
    For the Chinese HU, I found that they offer lots the features. With the same price you can get the apple play on it. But the key issue is the sound quality are mostly poor compares to the Pioneer like this.
    Lagging UI and too contrast display also another issue. Well I cannot generalized all Chinese HU like that, but thats what I find.

    ReplyDelete