March 8, 2017

Pro Home Karaoke System Using Powered Mixer

My parent love to sing. I remembered about 3 years ago they asked me to accompany them to pick the best home karaoke system. I picked the system just like what karaoke commercial did. They sound great and my parent was happy at that time. Until about a month ago, they asked me again to make some improvement on their home karaoke system. They wish to get more power and dynamic to play music even louder.


Long before my parent ask me to upgrade their karaoke system, actually a technician offering to upgrade the system by adding some equalizer and preamp effect. Long story short, the result does not make any sound  better. The noise increase and it sound even worse. I am remove the old system right away.







The room size is about 6 meter width by 12 meter length. Quite big in my opinion.

Previous amplifier using BMB DA-2000. This amp will be replace with higher wattage output and more sound option.



All the speakers will be still using from the current system including this active sub-woofer.

This is the back of the active sub-woofer. I believe it is local made and it sound good.

This is the main speakers that still good.

They have the banana plug for speaker cable connection.

I also upgrade the microphone cables with the better quality cable and connector. The new mixer can accept XLR connection which give you lower noise and clean voice.

The microphone or interconnect cable is no others than my favorite Canare L-2T2S.

I using high quality China made XLR connector from LIDGE. The shape just like Neutrik but the price only 1/3 of the original Neutrik. I am satisfy with the quality and the result of those connectors are acceptable. I using Legrand and Uticon brand for the power cord.

Electricity cable that I use here is from my trustworthy local brand Supereme cable.

This is the previous cable and I will throw them to the dust bin soon.

Now let's take a look to the star of this post. It is comes in a large box.

Dual packaging to make sure the powered mixer safe on delivery process.

I choose AXL Audion PDM-12 powered mixer. This is also China made mixer amplifier. This powered mixer has built in 300 watt x 2 power amp, accept 12 input and has it's own 16 mode DSP for sound effect. More than enough for this karaoke system application.

Build quality is very good.

Did I mentioned that this powered mixer has it's own individual 7 band EQ? Keep them flat for the initial setting. Don't change it if you don't know what benefit from changing them.

12 input for not only for microphone, but can be use for guitar, keyboard and etc. The tape input will feed the music from the DVD player.

The knob layout just like typical studio mixer. Each input has their own frequency adjustment, effect level, Pan adjustment and gain control.

The back panel of this mixer amp has an AC input, power switch, speaker output, and noisy fan.

I hooked up all connector including the banana plug and Canare speaker cable.



Then I setup the gain level for each input, echo level, and sub-woofer level. I leave the EQ flat and the only setup of the tone control that I did is just decrease the high freq of microphone. This new system now sound much better. The voice from microphone are loud and clear. My parents looks happy with the result.

I just notice I've spent 3 hours for setup this new karaoke system. The total cost for this upgrade is less than US$300. Including for powered mixer and new cables.


Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment