Skip to main content

Building Mini DAC TDA1543 (Part 1)

Do you curious on how simple DAC would perform? From my previous post, I'm already fall in love with the sound from my Meridian 203. The ESS Sabre 9018 also sound very good to me but for some reason, not to engaging for me. So I think I will build my personal DAC to compete with them.


This DAC project is very simple and economic. It consist of TDA1543 and CS8414 as a S/PDIF receiver. It is also not a news anymore. There are a lot DIY'ers build this DAC with good result and I could tell I am very late about this. This project is fully inspired by 47 labs which very phenomenal with their Gaincard and they also build this DAC based on similar  IC.

The king of DAC is actually TDA1541 but it is hard to find now. Without want to struggling to find one, I will using TDA1543. This DAC is 16 bit with non-oversampling. All connection will do in universal board with point to point connection.

The CS8414 that I using is SOIC package and need an adapter to fit on DIP board. 

 This IC has a room for hand soldering, not very tiny and I do it very well.

The most important in point to point is the initial planning on where all individual components would go. Better planning means less jumper on the board.

The one and only jumper I made is only S-data jumper to Data input. This jumper will hide under CS8414 SOIC.

All components should measure and calculate on how much space do they need. So there is enough room for them on the board.

The final layout would be like this. I think this is the best arrangement so far.

On the connector side, there is no jumper needed.

I share my initial plan in a plain paper. The actual installation quite different with it but the basic idea is the same.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.