January 4, 2016

SCPH-1002 Capacitor Capacitance Upgrade

Welcome to the year 2016. I have a lot of time during this holiday and my itchy hands ask me to doing something with the power supply of Sony Playstation SCPH-1002. This is my following upgrade which previously I had replace the caps with the better ESR rating.


The photos is quite dark, I work it at noon time.

Previously, the four pieces caps is the low voltage section and I had change them from the original 2x 560uF and 2x 180uF Matsushita to 2x 470uF Nichicon Fine Gold and 2x 100uF Elna Cerafine. I should admit the improvement of the sound is noticeable cleaner. Perhaps this improvement due to the old caps from Matsushita already dry out.

On every caps under the board are bypass with Wima 100nF for better ripple rejection.

When working on old device like this, it is a common procedure to check the power switch with ohm meter. Make sure the connectivity is less than 0.5 ohm otherwise you should clean it with contact cleaner.

The new caps that will be install on this power supply is labeled as JVC. Actually this caps are from Matsushita. The capacitance is far larger than the standard.

I don't know the impact to sound quality by using larger capacitance.

Perhaps you will find this aluminium foil inside PS1 to attach the grounding plate. In this case, I will not using them anymore.

I solder it to the bottom plate directly by using small wire.



Then using a terminal end to attach to the upper steel cover bolt.



The final result by upgrading to this large capacitance over previous caps is cannot determined by now. For sure this large capacitance should improve ripple rejection in the electronic circuit better. 

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment