January 24, 2016

Elna Silmic ARS Vs. Original Big Silmic - Personal Impression

The first production of the original Elna Silmic capacitor is offer a giant size diameter. When I compare them with the same value with others capacitors, it is just like elephant and ant. Look at this 1 uF value Elna Silmic! I have ultra cheap 1000 uF with almost the same size like this one. This project is an update of the half-gain headphone amp which is describe here


The half-gain amp are using the newer Elna Silmic ARS. The sound are open and dynamic even from the first time I test them on the amp. If you ask about the sound-stage, well I think this caps are best for that. I amazed how does the sound-stage are clear wide open. Overall the sound are very balance, the bass, the voice, the timbre and drum are pronounce detail and clear. When it running over 24 hours, the sound signature are the same but the bass slightly become more solid and less boomy than before. Although the boomy bass before breaking-in are actually quite acceptable.

So, with this great sound, why should I bother to make a change to this giant size caps? The answer is no other than I have to experience the difference between them.

I am using my Sony MH-1 earbud almost all the time including in this review. The equipment setup is using Ipod as the source and Fiio line output dock going to the half-gain amp. As you know this amps main feature is no volume level. It is direct line input feed to the op-amp. For low headphones, the volume level is fine but not for this MH-1. Then I need to attenuate with 1k ohm resistors in series with the input caps.

The input caps are now change to this Silmic. I also put a series 1 k ohm resistor to attenuate the level. 

Then, after try to find the best place to put this giant caps on board, this big Silmic are ready to go for testing. The photo taken above is quite dark, it is already 6 p.m.

As everything put back on the case, I immediate playing the music that I've often play before.

And the result is.....
Sucks! believe me you will regret that you have waste your time for changing to this caps. I almost crying with the sound and want to change back to the ARS immediately. The bass is very boomy. This bass effect the vocal and you will hear they are dominate the overall sound presentation. The hiss are everywhere, on every lips of the singers or on the timbre. But wait, one more thing I have to say, please say good by to the open wide sound-stage.

One thing is success on this project is the attenuation. Right now I am comfort with this volume level. I take a deep breath, I will try to listen this setup for awhile.

Please leave this caps sing without anyone listen to it for a while. I let it play all day long and what next it surprise me.
Now the audition is going to the next level. The new bog caps already break-in right now. I am now enjoying the very sweet vocal from this amp. Say goodbye to the domination on the bass. They are now solid and balance. No hiss timbre and it is totally different compare to the first time. The sound-stage are now improve. I could say the difference is huge, but still cannot compare to the ARS Silmic before.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment