July 21, 2015

US Amps USA-100 (Part 1) Old-school American Style Amplifier

Most famous car amplifier in 90's era them are all made in USA. Just like Rockford, Orion, Linear Power, MTX, Petras and so many more. They are the American style car audio amplifier that feature true RMS power output. The sound is clean and loud. Today I got this US Amps in the mint condition. The model is USA-100 and I believe it is only 2 x 50 watt. Although at this moment I don't need any amplifier anymore, but by looking this amplifier condition, I could not resist to have another one.

This is the smallest family in the US Amps line up. I got it for under US$100 and my quick check, this old school car amp is still original inside out.

The transparent back case for showing-off the internal components is the trade mark of the US Amps. It is definitely not my style but it's okay to have it. At least I don't have to open it up to know what the components inside.

There is a lot of big transistors. So many transistor that I can say it is too much for 2 channel amp. I could count there is 4 transistor for each channel. As it claims about 50 watt per channel? It is really not a fake rated power amplifier.

The toroidal transformer is small and the supply capacitor are also small. Again, as I count the transistor on the power supply. To many as I can describe for this little amplifier. Maybe I should put additional capacitor bank outside the amplifier to support rush current. It will make it perform better.

Did you notice the wrong color code not align with the wording in the RCA line input? The Red is commonly for right channel and the white is commonly for left channel.

The screws are like never been touch before. It is just like a brand new amplifier. I am sure glad to have it.

Part 2 final can be find here

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment