July 14, 2015

Soundstream Lil Wonder III (Part 1) Monoblock Power Amplifier

I am counting on how many years that I am not touching any bass oriented in car audio anymore. I guess it should be around 7 years ago that I selling all of them and then more focus to the sound quality. But today is different, I am looking for a mono-block amplifier that usually designed for driving a sub-woofer or more. It is requested by my friend. He ask me to find a powerful mono-block amplifier to drive his his 12 inch sub-woofer and will install to his new car.

In this case, the Soundstream amplifier is the famous amplifier around 90's will do the job very well. It is specialized on car amplifier and speaker for sound quality without breaking a bank. The character from most of their amplifier are dynamic and detail. It is far from mellowness sound.

Speaking to the monoblock amplifier, I get this amplifier in very good condition. First impression about this small monoblock amplifier is heavy. The material in this amplifier case is combine between aluminium case with plastic cover. Personally I prefer all aluminium with steel combination just like an old-school amp rather adding any plastic like this which is look cheap.

The terminals socket is bare wire installation cable. Not bad at all but not always great compares to screw lock system.

At the back side, I can see the wiring diagrams explained how to hook this amp. Remind me of Rockford punch series on 90's. The wording says PCB designed in USA, heat sink designed by Soundstream technology in USA. Come on! Just make it short: made in China! No need to be ashamed about that. As long the quality control is handling by Soundstream USA directly, I could assume for the quality is same when they made it in USA.

By looking this amp, I could tell the size is compact with the output power is 1 x 400 watt at 2 ohm. It is working at class AB amplifier, not class D.

I am very curios about the performance of this amp. This amp is a mono block that very suitable to drive the sub-woofer. Hopefully my choice is correct and not disappointing my friend. Part 2 final can be find here

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment