Skip to main content

Soundstream Lil Wonder III (Part 1) Monoblock Power Amplifier

I am counting on how many years that I am not touching any bass oriented in car audio anymore. I guess it should be around 7 years ago that I selling all of them and then more focus to the sound quality. But today is different, I am looking for a mono-block amplifier that usually designed for driving a sub-woofer or more. It is requested by my friend. He ask me to find a powerful mono-block amplifier to drive his his 12 inch sub-woofer and will install to his new car.

In this case, the Soundstream amplifier is the famous amplifier around 90's will do the job very well. It is specialized on car amplifier and speaker for sound quality without breaking a bank. The character from most of their amplifier are dynamic and detail. It is far from mellowness sound.

Speaking to the monoblock amplifier, I get this amplifier in very good condition. First impression about this small monoblock amplifier is heavy. The material in this amplifier case is combine between aluminium case with plastic cover. Personally I prefer all aluminium with steel combination just like an old-school amp rather adding any plastic like this which is look cheap.

The terminals socket is bare wire installation cable. Not bad at all but not always great compares to screw lock system.

At the back side, I can see the wiring diagrams explained how to hook this amp. Remind me of Rockford punch series on 90's. The wording says PCB designed in USA, heat sink designed by Soundstream technology in USA. Come on! Just make it short: made in China! No need to be ashamed about that. As long the quality control is handling by Soundstream USA directly, I could assume for the quality is same when they made it in USA.

By looking this amp, I could tell the size is compact with the output power is 1 x 400 watt at 2 ohm. It is working at class AB amplifier, not class D.

I am very curios about the performance of this amp. This amp is a mono block that very suitable to drive the sub-woofer. Hopefully my choice is correct and not disappointing my friend. Part 2 final can be find here

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.