May 18, 2015

Sony MH1 Earphone And Convert OMTP To Standar Stereo Earphone Plug

I am now looking for a new affordable earphone. This earphone will accompany me at the office or at my traveling. The portability is the main purpose and the most important is good sounding earphone. This Sony Ericsson MH1 earphone is my choice to fulfilled all my needs.

I not intend to compare with Audiotechnica ATH-M50, they are different type of headphones but this earphone is a good performer for less money you spend. The strong point of this earphone is smooth sound with balance vocal and good bass.

You can get this earphone on the online store for less than US$30. It's come with a clear plastic bag. I can tell this earphone is a bundled earphone from Sony Ericsson smartphone. This earphone plug is 3.5 mm with OMTP configuration. This OMTP cannot properly use for iPod or others player now days except you push the answer button in the middle all the time. The solution is simply shortcut the circuit inside it. Please be note that doing this modification will disabling the telephone answer feature of this earphone.

Open the mic casing is easy. Using sharp hand cutter on the side will do the job very well. Now the front case has open, lets continue to the bottom side.

Carefully snap out the board and always remember the direction of this board for reinstall them again.

Now you can shortcut the solder pin between C3 and C1. It is the Mic leads under the board that need to be shortcut.


I wan't the unnecessary parts should be remove, then I lift off the mic as well.

It is now done and re-assembly the case is just a snap. You can see how small dent caused from this modification.

All done perfectly and works with my iPod without any issue.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

2 comments:

  1. Great post thank you very much for the info, this is very helpful. These iem are indeed great, I love them so much I have bought several to keep for the future.

    One question, instead of shorting the mic, isn't it possible to modify the wiring swapping cables in order to swith from OMTP to CTIA within the remote?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy this blog, thank you.
      Please see my latest post about MH1. I remove the mic unit completely and this MH1 is pure stereo earphones.

      Delete