June 3, 2015

Speakers Ring Car Audio Speaker Treatment

Last week, when I went to the shopping mal, I saw the Japanese car audio magazine with the speaker treatment product from Audio Technica. That sound deadening product comes with several components, the multi layer sound deadening sheets from various size and thickness, then the most important is the ring for the speakers. The main purpose of this speakers ring is to eliminate the negative pressure of the speaker cones from the back of the speaker to the front. This will prevent cancellation of the sound wave. So in this post I will try to make one for my car.


For the speakers ring material, I will using thick foam that mostly use for the sofa or bed insert.

My car is a low-end car that almost no sound deadening installed. Especially at the door trim where the speaker sit on it, they mostly rattle when the bass hit. Ironically the sound from speaker cone doesn't directly come out through the speaker grill at the door trim. They spread between the door panel and door trim because there are gaps between the speaker cone to the door trim. It cause the sound less focus, less bass response while door panel keeps rattling.

So the Audio Technica advertisement makes me think about what I need for the speakers treatment. So I made it, I cut the thick foam just like a ring to fit the outer diameter of the speakers.

It look ugly, but it works!


Once I finished with the speaker ring that I made from the thick foam, now I am ready to install them in the car.


This is what I have mention before about the large gap between the speaker grill with the speaker cone. The gaps are huge that makes the sound from the speaker is canceling from back to the front.


This is how I install the speaker ring. It sealed the corner and will not pass the sound wave from the front to the back of the speaker.


Adjustment on the ring thickness is required once I want to put the door trim back to the panel.





With this speaker ring, there is no gaps between speakers and the door panel.



This cheap and simple upgrade give the noticeable sound improvement especially at the bass section. The vibration is now reduce. Total working hour for each door is not more than 20 minutes. It is a good project and worth to try.

Latter on I found that many seller start to sell the ready to use ring speaker for US$8 pairs. You can use it with the same result I got here.


Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment