January 8, 2015

DIY LM1875 Gainclone Amplifier (Part 2) The Amplifier Casing

Continue from the first part of this Gainclone amplifier built, I can say that my previous amplifier built  mostly using very thick aluminum casing. It is cosmetically better, non-magnetic material and feel really solid. But one thing should consider is the cost. The most expensive parts when building any audio project, especially like this Gainclone amplifier is the casing itself.

So, I am trying to cut some cost in this Gainclone amplifier project. I will not using the aluminum casing, instead I will using a commercial available steel casing. Using steel material for casing is far cheaper. The ground plane in steel casing for the amplifier is somehow can be better compares to the aluminum casing. So here is the amplifier casing that I will using in this project.

 

Most of the steel amplifier casing on the market right now are using thin metal sheet material. It feels far from solid. That is why I will reuse my old casing that intended for the pre-amplifier project. I bought this casing more than 15 years ago and the thickness is almost double compare to today casing.

First of all, I should tear down all components inside. It is a op-amp based pre-amplifier that I made a decade before. This pre-amp sound good enough, but for my today standard, I don't think I should keep this things up.



Finished remove all the internal components inside, then I clean up the casing.

I also installing the input-output terminals first before going to the next step which you can find on the part 3 here


Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment