December 8, 2014

Audio Technica ATH-M50x Limited Edition With The CMOY Headphone Amplifier

Audio Technica is the most well known brand for their headphones. Most of their headphones are also use by professional application related to audio. This is very iconic brand and especially for the ATH-M50x, this good looking headphone is really catch my attention.

In this weekend, I have a chance to test the ATH-M50x Limited Edition version. I will connect it with my new build LME49720NA CMOY headphone amplifier.


Before I go to the sound detail, let me introduce the equipment I had.

The music source is iPod video with the WAV music files ripped from the original CD's. This is the best sounding portable digital audio player I have right now.

You can connecting the iPod to the CMOY amplifier directly from the headphone out but you will never get the best resolution of the music. This is because the internal iPod volume control and amplifier degrading the sound quality. I want the internal iPod DAC is taken out and directly connect to the CMOY headphone amplifier. That is why I need this 30 pin to line out adapter. Fiio made this adapter and the model number is L11.


Speaking about the build quality of this ATH-50x is remarkable impressive. The body which they are all plastic are sturdy and solid.

I like the leather quality most. The leather feels comfortable and the color combination the is totally nice to look at.


The difference by using or not using the CMOY amplifier is night and day. With the CMOY amplifier, the sound become more dynamic. I also can hear the music more detail especially on micro detail that cannot resolve with the iPod directly. Playing music on high volume is get so much advantage with this amplifier. The sound more clear and less distortion. The bass is more control and the vocal is very pleasant. Overall music presentation is neutral and I think this amplifier doesn't give much coloration to the original sound. This improvement is lots by any means.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment