Skip to main content

The 300B Amplifier Updates

Welcoming this year, I always hope that this 2026 will be blessed with joy and happiness, with all things we are doing, we doing with fun and excitement.

For the past week, I actually got flu and not really into this hobby for quite long time. But I was concerning to revisiting this newly built amplifier again. Is not 100% complete, few things need to change and add to suit my sound preference.

So, here it is. The new updates for this 300B amplifier.


The above photo is the latest update for my 300B amplifier built based on Luxman MQ-300 amplifier schematic.

The line input goes to a 100K ohm potentiometer as a passive pre-amplifier, then goes to 6SN7 as line driver tie in parallel for each channel with gain of 10 times. From there goes to coupling capacitor before to the 300B grid.

Since the only pre-amplifier is just an input, a cable and a potentiometer, I think replacing the input cable to the better one, might improve the sound.

I am now using Mogami Neglex 2803.







Oh man! this Mogami 2803 is very hard cable to deal with. It is very stiff, the copper are silky thin and the isolator in the center is pain to solder together with the copper itself.

The cable price per meter is around $20, which is the most expensive for a small signal cable I ever bought.




The next components that I replace is the coupling capacitor.

Previously I was using Russian paper-in-oil capacitor K75-10. Very big capacitor compare with the one I using it right now is just a normal MKP capacitor.

With the K75-10 capacitor, the music is too slow for my preference. Sound signature more to the dark sounding with great musicality but less aggressive and details.





The last components need to add is the cathode bypass capacitor.

For every resistor on each cathode of 6SN7 need to bypass with 220uf capacitor. I forget to add it before and that is why the bass, the depth and the sound-stage seem shrink. This small and cheap component plays vital roles for tube amplifier to sound good.


And there all we have now.

The sound is improving so much, I think the most contributor components coming from the cathode bypass capacitors and then the coupling capacitor and lastly is the input signal cable.

I am now more enjoying this 300B amplifier especially during end of the year 2025 holiday, with a good music and great equipment.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.