September 2, 2024

Miflex MKP-14 Capacitor for Speaker Cross-over Upgrade

Continue from my previous speaker cross-over modification from -12dB to -6dB slope, I satisfy with the result and I would replace the capacitor to the better one.

I had used many high-quality capacitor on my previous project and for this cross-over capacitor component, I will prefer to use Miflex MKP-14, which not only for it's affordable price, but in my opinion, the quality is better than Jantzen Cross-cap or Mundorf MKP.


Honestly, I don't mind using Bennic capacitor. But once I compare them side-by-side, I can assure Miflex MKP-14 has better copper leads and heavier capacitor material.

See the difference between those capacitors. The Miflex MKP-14 is bigger in size. This is because the voltage rating is also bigger, up to 600 volts compare to Bennic which only up to 160 volts. Theoretically, the higher the voltage rating, the less noise generate by the components itself.


The -6dB cross-over design only consist of one capacitor, one inductor and one resistor. Since it doesn't require much components, so they can be maximized in the quality.


Those components are now installed inside the speaker enclosure and once it finished, I immediate test the result.

Well, I guess this new capacitor give more polite high-frequency sound, not edgy like the Bennic, and it feels like the treble sound attenuated.

I take some time listening the music and I feel more comfortable listening in long period of time with this new setup.

Probably the sound might change again after the capacitors breaking in? I think so.


 

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment