May 8, 2024

Mazda Bose Subwoofer Improvement

Lately I really enjoying driving my car and doesn't think about changing anything on it, including the pre-installed OEM Bose audio system.

I know how much time consuming when install proper audio system in car and I start to avoid it as much as I can. I also know for the end result from proper aftermarket car audio system installation could be sound amazing, but listening from this OEM Bose audio system is already fulfilled my expectation.

At least for this moment:)

But something annoying me from this audio system is the bass sound. The bass impact is not deep enough, and small distortion occurs from the unwanted vibration. So, I think I need to make some improvement on this bass sector first.


My early investigation from the subwoofer enclosure that placed at the spare-tire compartment is made from plastic material. Especially for the bass sound, this material is not good due to easy to resonance at loud volume level.

But I love how Mazda and Bose manage the space in car for the audio placement. They don't sacrifice the trunk compartment, unlike the aftermarket audio system. So, I still want to keep it as is.




I still want to investigate this subwoofer enclosure deeply and looking something that might be improve the sound quality. Then, I open up this subwoofer top cover by removing the spare-tire locking bolt, and un-screw the bolts on top of it using Philips screwdriver.

Those steps are pretty easy to do.




Using the same Philips screwdriver, I open up the small 5,5 inch subwoofer driver on it.

The flaw from this enclosure is wide open.



Inside this sub-woofer enclosure is empty without any damping materials. We need sound absorption especially when using plastic materials like this, otherwise for the bass vibration will rattling with the enclosure itself.

So to improve this bass section, I using damping material from polyester fiber which I already had. The size is a meter square which a lot for this small internal sub-woofer enclosure, so I cut by half and it perfectly fill-up inside this enclosure.




That's all the steps. It only cost me less than US$2 for the polyester fiber damping foam and 30 minutes working time.

How does it sound?

I can say the bass are now louder and deeper. It also more impact and less unwanted bass vibration. Those improvements are not significant, but I can feel it.

After all, what can I say for this small effort that can make a sound improvement to the Mazda Bose audio system. It easy to do with guarantee for better bass performance.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment