April 15, 2022

Nakamichi PA-200 Car Power Amplifier

If I remembering in my teenager age, there is only one car audio brand that really takes me to this audio hobby, which is the Nakamichi.

The 90's is the year full of great stuff. Car audio is also one of them. Nakamichi at that era is all made in Japan. The sound is so special because it has in-house sound signature.

Like what I have right now is the Nakamichi PA-200 car power amplifier. I bought this unit quite cheap and it is looks so neat. So in this post, I will exploring this unit and find what I got on it.


This is small car power amplifier. The dimension is about 19 cm by 16 cm. It is also 4,5 cm thin profile amplifier which can be easily put inside the dashboard or under the seat.

All material is made by thick aluminum except the bottom cover is a steel plate.

The power output is only 30 watt x2, small output if compare to recent power amplifier. But this is not bothering me so much. if I buy a power amplifier like this, I will expecting a good sounding amplifier. This is different if I buy a water heater, I will find the highest wattage because the water will got hot faster.




Like most power amplifier at that era, the feature is so simple. This amplifier is only have a pair of RCA input, an individual channel gain, hi or low input level selector using the same input as the RCA, and the terminals for speakers and power cables using standard bolts. The fuse terminal is using the screw type fuse housing that can be find in the home audio system.

As usual, the old unit like this should be inspect carefully before turn it ON. This is because the components inside could be wear out due to ages especially for the capacitors.






The PCB is using single layer, standard type wooden board that really common for electronic at that era.

The single layer PCB has one disadvantages, which is a lot of cables lying around for the jumpers. Overall I have checked all components are all original, except the power supply capacitors.







The electrolytic capacitor naturally has their own ages. The liquid inside will gradually evaporate either in use or not. The good electrolytic capacitor can withstand for more than 20 years but it is all depends on the application.

Like this car amplifier, the electrolytic capacitor will working harder than when it is use in home amplifier. This is because certain capacitor in the power line always get the voltage from the battery. Other than that, the DC voltage ripple from the car alternator will be harm enough for the capacitor.

Replace the capacitor for certain of time is necessary. But looking to this unit, I think those capacitor already blown and cause the sound distortion before it is all replaced.


The problem with this unit is those capacitor are all replaced by low quality electrolytic capacitor. They can be use but only for short period of time. I can see some of them are start to blow.

The sound quality from using low quality capacitor like this is very poor. Commonly the sound become edgy and harsh. This kind of repair service should be avoided if you want the audio quality is the same as before.

So in this case, I replacing all capacitor with the Panasonic FC. This capacitor is intended to use for audio application. I am using the higher voltage rating for better ripple rejection.

The other capacitor that doesn't have the value equivalent to the original are replaced with the Nichicon JVC capacitor.






After all finished, I check all the voltage and they are all within the specification.

I do test this amplifier on my desk and it is working good. The sound is also wonderful,

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment