December 20, 2021

CMC USA Binding Post & New AD1865NK DAC Board

This might be my last post in this year. Personally I felt that this year is the most exciting for me, not because of the pandemic, but the working from home condition that makes me more productive. I can use my time which previously spent communiting on the road, from home to office, vice versa, now with more flexible time, I can make some great audio project.

This year my blog is full of DAC's project. I think I had enough great time for that. Then the rest of the day in this year, I just need to enjoy what I've made.

Before I closing this year, I want to upgrade my integrated amplifier. As you probably already know that I am loyal to LM3886 Gainclone amplifier. I love the simplicity audio system that consist of one box integrated amplifier + DAC, a pairs of speaker and a simple WAV player.

Then I remember that I have one thing to do with this amplifier, which has planned long time ago, is to replace the speakers binding post.

Recently I got this original CMC binding post in used condition. I really want to replace what I am using right now is no brand Taiwan made binding post. So here I am:)


If you are the believer of hi-end binding post or the connector can make sound better, I will not argue about that. But for me, I like fancier stuff like this original CMC binding post. It is fancy than my previous binding post for sure. This binding post probably will not make my amplifier sound better, but it will improve my great looking amplifier better.


CMC is originated made in USA. Lots of fakes out there. I bought this from my good old friend which is I know he is upgrading his amplifier binding post with the more expensive stuff on it. He is now using WBT binding post. Again, this CMC price is only one-tenth of the WBT price each. Even the Cardas brand binding post is more expensive than this CMC.


I also plan to replacing previous small CMC RCA connector with the bigger one. Also from CMC. This RCA plug is a bonus for me after I bought a sets of the binding post from my friend.


Now I start to remove the old one by soldering the cables out then put the new one. It actually an easy job to do.




But it turn out that I do overhauling my whole amplifier.

This is the bad habit of DIY audio, my hand are itchy if not do something differently. I starting with changing the internal signal cables first. Then I also re-design the DAC power supply with bigger capacitors on it.

And that's just a beginning.





Ideally, replacing sets of binding post with one RCA connectors only need about 30 minutes. In this case, it turns out to become a 5 hours work.

Not only doing the re-route and re-cabling internal cables, also I re-design the DAC power supply. At the end I across the border by changing the whole DAC board.





This new DAC layout shorten the power supply lines, better LPF calculated, better regulators design, and more efficient heat dissipation. Although the heat is not an issue on previous DAC board, but well, I just make an improvement while I can.








So here it is, the new internal amplifier that spent me 5 hours working on my Saturday morning. It is the final layout for this integrated amplifier I believe, at least for this years:)

Happy holiday everyone and see you next year, cheers.


Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment