Skip to main content

Bottlehead Crack Headphones Amplifier (Part 1) Introduction

This Bottlehead Crack headphones amplifier is not a new news but still hot for sure.

For some reason, this amplifier is always praised by DIY'ers as the best headphones amplifier kit available so far. Not just because it is using vacuum tube, but it is sound good.

This Bottlehead Crack headphones amplifier is sell in a kit and luckily for you living in States, this kit can be obtain with the ease. But not for me living in Asia, the delivery cost for this amplifier will high and takes so much time. This Bottlehead Crack amplifier in this post here is lend by my friend. He bought it in used condition and he is willing to bring it to my house yesterday to let me check it first.

My quick inspection, this unit is all original component, nice layout, simple design, and quite dirty for sure.

I will cleaning it up in return and maybe some cosmetic upgrade later on.

I am new to the vacuum tube amplifier and having this in my table is something that I could say, rare.

As usual, the tube amplifier have a common looks, they exposed the vacuum tube itself. It is beautiful for sure, but with a purpose. It is just like a heat-sink on the solid state amplifier, the vacuum tube exposed it to release the heat as well.

This Bottlehead Crack amplifier is overall have a very simple presentation. Only a power tube and a driver tube along with the power transformer and all input output connector on the top chassis.


I do some quick test with a simple setup.

I am using iPod as source and Sennheiser HD600 headphones.

Once I turn it ON, the vacuum tube start to glow. It will reach the optimal temperature about 5 minute, then I start to play the music.

My initial impression with this amplifier is the sweet sound. Very dynamic and rich sound on overall music frequency. I loved the midrange sound. It is very live and intimate.

After I spent about an hour in this listening session, it is time for me to disassembly all components and start to clean it up.


As you can see, the top plate is quite dirty. The transformer cap has some rust on it. But overall still in maintained condition.

The wood panel on side is loose to the top plate, means no any screws locking to both parts together. I also don't have any idea what should I do to attach them. I guess using glue will help.

Here in the internal components from today quick inspection. It is all tidy, it is all original except the potentiometer has been upgrade to ALPS blue.

I see some additional resistor after the potentiometer. It is 1 kilo ohm, usually for improve amplifier input stability. I will try to remove it later and return to it's original as per schematic.

Here is the original schematic.


And here are another photos that I was taken during this inspection.

Please continue to the Part-2.





Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.