October 21, 2017

Arc Audio DSP-8 Installation On Toyota Harrier 2005

I remember when the Arc Audio DSP-8 came into Indonesia market around few years ago, I wonder that someday I could install this little DSP amplifier and see how it's perform personally. The selling point for this little DAC + 4 channel amplifier combo is the very flexible setting over the PC. With my busy life lately, luckily I still have a chance to installing it on the Toyota Harrier 2005. This DSP will replace the OEM JBL audio system.


This DSP size is little bit larger from a palm of my hand. I am not too worries about the performance and this DSP also comes with 4 channel class D amplifier inside. They doesn't need much power due to it's efficiency and I am very sure that this DSP-8 won't make me down.

Before going further to this DSP-8, I may say that many car today mostly have their own head unit integrated to the dash and the car interior. It is a pity that you have limited ways to improve it. Most common upgrade is only add an active sub-woofer.

The car that I work in is already have a good audio system from JBL. The head unit and the amplifier are placed separately.

It already have an audio upgrade by adding external power amplifier. Sadly it is all done with ugly installation. In this case, I will get rid them all.



This DSP-8 installation is very cheap and easy. First, all the cable are taken from the OEM. Second, the placement of this DSP-8 is hidden under the back seat just like the JBL amplifier.

The JBL is small, but the DSP-8 is smaller.

The installation process is quite easy as long you already have an experience on car audio installation. It's just attach the speaker out from DSP-8 to the OEM cable.

A thing to be consider from this DSP-8 is the low quality speakers cables they had. The cables are too small, 22 AWG except for power and ground cable which already sufficient.

I compare to the cable from OEM JBL which very solid. They around 18 - 16 AWG. Hopefully the next DSP-8 has improvement in this sector.

I am using this kind joint to attach between DSP-8 cables to the OEM without any cutting. It is simple just like photo bellow, slide in both cables, then press with pliers to lock them in.

I also have opportunity to open this DSP-8 cover.



Opening the cover require 4 bolt and you can see the DSP chip from Cirrus Logic. Quite popular DSP IC in my opinion. Overall build quality are exceptional, they are very good.

There is the jumper for selecting input type. You can choose between hi input from the speaker out or the low input from the line-out head unit.

Removing them means I choose the hi level input.

All installation done.



Honestly, I cannot comment the sound quality yet. The total installation process is fast, but the setting process through the PC the most time consuming. Hey Arc Audio, please next time give the default setting as specific car to let me enjoy the sound directly after the installation.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment