April 10, 2017

Vifa TC9 Fullrange Speaker

It is been a long time since I bought this Vifa TC9-FD18-08 here, it is a 8 ohm driver with almost similar specification as the Vifa TG9 except TG9 is 4 ohm.

Theoretically, the higher impedance will make the distortion lower and I wish I could hear cleaner sound with this 8 ohm speakers. So here there are, a pair of TC9 speaker driver ready to replace my current Vifa TG9.



I remember in late 2012, I experimenting and reviewing many full range drivers that aim for presenting all frequency band. I've tried many popular brands such as Visaton, Swan, LG, and many local brands driver.

My goal with this single full range driver is I want is a simple speakers design that sound wonderful. Then it goes to this Vifa TG9 as my final decision. I use it for years and still until it until now.


So, this is the Vifa TC9. I bought it directly from US, hand carry by my friend. This TC9 not net available in my country yet.

Comparing both drivers, no surprise for TG9 and TC9 are almost identical. The size are interchangeable. But if you look closely, there are 2 main difference in the physical of those drivers.

First, the basket are both different. TG9 have more frames attached to the magnet, it is 3 frames on TG9 versus 4 frames on TC9.

The second, difference is in the cone materials. The TG9 using what they called bamboo material and TC9 only a common polycarbonate material.

Looking side by side, I can say that the TG9 is far superior in material quality.


I can wait to check the sound quality from this TC9. The installation for this new driver is very easy. Because they are share same size, so no any modification required on the speakers box.


I am not wasting any time to listen this new speakers.

And the result is... dum dum dum.. (drums rolling).

They are sound the same! Seriously, I could not spot the difference, the sound signature for both drivers are identical.

Then, I spending more time to listen different kind of music genre and the more you listen, the more you notice this TC9 frequency response are quite different.

The low and highs more pronounce, while the mid range is attenuate a little bit. It more likely a V-shaped frequency curve. Comparing to the TG9 which more mid range oriented, I feel that the TC9 make more punchy on bass.

Another difference with this TC9 compare to the TG9 is I had to crank the volume level up in the amplifier a little bit higher on TC9 compares while listening from the TG9. This is could be the different on the impedance and cause the sensitivity of the TC9 is lower than the TG9.

I usually I listen a music at 10 o'clock volume position, but with this TC9, I should reach at 12 with the same sound level.

The music albums I use when reviewing those drivers is Ingram Washington - What a difference a day make.

I think I should end of this review.

I don't think this TC9 is an upgrade from the TG9. Although they are look identical, but in fact a lot things different for both of them.

Especially for the sound quality, I still prefer the TG9 better than TC9.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried the tg9 or tc9 in a very small box for around 0.5-1 litre? Im interesting using it in a car. How do they sound in a very small box? Can they sound great if im cut 300 high pass in a very small box? Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never tried using small box, but I had listen many car audio setups using TG9 on dash with small enclosure, they sounds great for midrange but still need mid bass to back up the low freq.

      Delete