Skip to main content

Simple Passive Pre-amplifier

One thing for sure about the superior of using passive preamp is neutrality of the sound itself. The signal are pure and doesn't pass to others components such as capacitor and transistor which can give color to the sound. I will recommend this passive preamp for every audio system then judge how good is the sound.


The components for this project are only 2 pair female RCA plug, ALPS blue stereo 50k ohm, aluminium knob and the universal casing. Feel free to use any casing for this project. Total cost is around US$50, quite cheap actually.

Put all components in the case which is really simple task, no explanation needed.

I am using silver coated cable with Teflon jacket, this is very high quality cable I had on my bin. You can use whatever cable you like but you don't want degrade the sound because you are using budget cables. The cable are very critical in this project.

This cheap passive preamp is become my reference tool when make an audition for power amp. The characteristic of each amp can reveal instead of using an active pre-amp that give color to the sound.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.