Skip to main content

Simple Solid State Relay For Low Wattage Class D Power Amplifier

For months I'm playing a lot with this tiny amplifier. It is 12 volt capable, low watt, yet ultra efficient power amplifier that very suitable for car audio application. It producing high quality audio with flea watt that most any mid-range or full-range speakers can accept. Previously, this auto power-on amplifier is controlled by using a mechanical relay. It is okay and not any single problem occurs. But to make it less mechanical things, I built the simple solid state relay in it.


By looking inside this amplifier, it is powered by TA2024 by Tripath. I already modify the board for DC output bias adjustment as per datasheet and several components upgrade to tailored the sound just what I prefer most.

I starting this project with plain universal PCB. I measure and cut it to fit inside the amplifier case. I don't have to planning on how much components will be put on it, as long as I think it is sufficient, then I cut it.

The main components of this solid state relay is no more than a single NPN transistor. I choose any transistor from my bin, it is used Motorola 2N6488. This transistor is capable for 75 watt power, plenty head room if you can count for this project.

That is why you are actually doesn't need heat sink! Adding one like this actually for support the transistor in it's place.

Caution should be made when installing the transistor to the heatsink. Washer and lug should be use to prevent the short circuit.

Populated the components, is quite easy. 2 big capacitor from Nichicon FW, a zenner diode, capacitor and resistor.

Then, attach all the cable in place.

This is the final layout. It is simple and looking good.

Perhaps you might ask about the schematic, then I drawing this for you.

That's it, a simple solid state relay that using few parts and this is also act as a voltage regulator.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.