August 29, 2016

Testing DIY Interconnect Cable From My Friend

I mostly build my own audio connector and I always using the Canare cable. They are cheap, high quality and overall sound for me is natural and minimum in sound coloration. About a month ago, my friend come to my house and we have a little chat about audio cables. He offering me to test this cable and review about it, and I replied, why not?!

First thing first, the plugs connector are from CMC. Charming Music Company. I have no doubt about the CMC plug quality. I using the female RCA plug on my most amplifier project and the quality are awesome. I like the model and I also like the quality. They are very affordable compare to WBT or Furutech. Moreover, this CMC plugs are made in USA.

The cable itself are small in diameter. Around less than 5 mm each. I feel the jacket are made from Teflon. They are quite stiff.

Inside the core of the cable, I believe it is pure silver. Quite expensive cable from what I explore so far. See also the RCA locking mechanism of this plug are easily removed for soldering purpose.



This high quality cable is so small compare to the hole of the plug. Lots of spaces right there!

Speaking about the cable, this is the shoot of my favorite interconnect cable from Canare. It is more thicker than cable on this review. Canare using copper conductor and rubber jacket. No wonder it is quite cheap.

Come to my conclusion about what I experience with this cable for a month. The characteristic of silver conductor are best at high frequency. I immediate feel the airy highs, the cymbal are pronouce lively. The sound stage are wider than usual, I like it.

The vocal itself I can say a little bit thinner compare to the Canare. I believe this is because the audio frequency dominant to the high frequency. The overall sound are more flat on vocal and bass and superior to the treble. Mix and match system would give a good balance on sound, I tried from Tripath, F5, and Gainclone amplifier. This cable is best at my Tripath amplifier. The more I listen, the more I enjoy this silver character. Too bad I have to return this cable to my friend and now I am using my old cheap Canare in my system again.

Actually, after I return it, I try to find that cable on my trusted seller. I found the similarity. Very similar! The thin cable with CMC connectors. But the cable color is different now. It is gold. And the seller said that it is real gold! I try to ask the price, bravely. This is US$200 cable price pair. Then I better stick to my cheap Canare instead.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment