Skip to main content

Better Regulated Power Supply With LT-1083CP

The most popular choice for regulated power supply are using 78xx series which simple yet considerably good. If want more advance to against the ripple, using LM317 is the best choice. The LM317 is also voltage regulator with the voltage output that can be adjust based on the need. They are both good regulator but very limited to the output ampere. Less than 1 ampere I believe. This low ampere is not a problem with small device such as pre-amplifier but you cannot going any further such as power amplifier. Of course you can add to the circuit a high ampere transistor to rise the current but it make the circuit more complicated. That is why this LT1083 will took the place for the high ampere regulated power supply IC.


I build this power supply for my testing purpose. With high ampere capable up to 7.5 ampere, LT-1083CP is superior for testing class AB and D amplifier and also car audio system. The components for this build is quite classy, they are Motorola Diode MUR4100, Nichicon FW, Muse, Wima, Brouns multi-turn pot, and Takman resistor. The board is using universal board and all connection are doing by point-to-point.

The schematic for this LT-1083CP is 100% same with LM317. Total working hours to finish this board assembled together is less than an hour.

I immediate test it with my 100VA Tamura transformer with secondary output 15 volt AC and adjust the regulated to 14.4 volt DC. With those condition, this LT1083 only deliver small heat. So far no extra heat-sink require especially to drive the class D amplifier.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPA1622 Vs. OPA627 High Performance Op-amps Comparison

This op-amps comparison topic is actually boring, but at the same time, many of us still curious about what others think about it. The reason is simply because of the op-amps variation are hundreds and they are depends by the implementation. The op-amps are considerably cheap and an interchangeable electronic components but they are not built for the same function. So in this discussion, I will focus on the modern Vs. vintage high performance op-amps in the simple non-inverting pre-amplifier gain stage.

Vintage Multibit R2R DAC Tier List

At the very beginning of this year, I committed to explore the best multi-bit R2R DAC. This is simply because I have plenty of the resources (from broken old unit CD player of course) and ability to build them up. If you think this kind a recycle from old un-used unit to become something useful, than I should stated myself giving contribute for greener world:) After all DAC that I built in this year, I think it is better for me to list them up again in one single page like this. Then I will rank them up in a simple tier list. The reason for this, so you all know what my opinion about of those vintage multibit R2R DAC especially in the sound quality.

Signal Path Capacitor Comparison - Elna Cerafine Vs. Silmic II

I you following the discussion online, there are many endless debate about sound quality improvement from one capacitors to another. Some of them did a comparison between certain branded capacitors, which in my opinion, the result are very subjective. To make this comparison more crowded, so in this post will I adding another capacitor comparison.  Previously I did a capacitor upgrade on the Pioneer KEH-P9750 head unit using Elna Silmic capacitor for the signal path only. I will take this opportunity to compare between the Elna Silmic II and the Elna Cerafine. Both capacitor are produced by the same company. I believe the result would be more objective.