April 19, 2016

Tangband W1-1070SE An Inch Full-range Driver On Car Audio

It is a not normal for an inch driver to become a full-range. I am skeptic about how good this full-range driver deliver the music as I wanted. In my opinion, this is a bad driver. But I am trying to be fair and judge it wisely. The price point for this driver is very affordable. Let's see how it work.


It is kinda embarrassed to have a speaker installation like this. But this is for testing purpose and please don't bother for this ugly installation. 

If you have follow my previous post about full-range battle here, the result is clear. The bigger driver such as TG9 have an advantage in sound quality over the smaller one such as SB-65. But today, the even smaller than SB-65 is coming. This is a Tangband driver, code name W1-1070SE.
If you don't know the Tangband is, actually they are a Taiwan company that build so many good drivers. They focus on small driver yet high performance. The target is for space concern application, such as multimedia speakers or car audio.
In this testing, I using all the same gear as previous setting. Unless the driver are now change to this W1. I also put small card-board for the standing purpose. It help to get better sound wave from this driver. This setup is just like having a small open baffle speakers on your car.

The real question is how does it sound?

I always think about the price point first. It sell around US$20 pair and for that price range it is simply wonderful. I love how this small driver sing, you will forget the sound coming from an inch drivers. The low frequency such as male voice are pronounce loud and clear without distortion. The cone moving up and down very quickly and I don't know why I love to see they moving. I rise the volume up and wait until they blow but they don't:)

The others strong point from this W1 is in the detail. I hear the detail that cannot reach by using the TG9. It is also nice to hear the music more detail and dynamic like this. W1 is fast driver that deliver music very accurate. That is the character of this driver, it is totally different with TG9 which deliver music very smooth and mellow.

I have describe the good of W1 and this review will not complete without giving it a negative point. There is nothing such a perfect drivers, W1 is suffer from high frequency. The TG9 with bigger cone surprisingly have smoother yet pronounce better in high frequency. The timbre sound are muffled with W1. From the first time I presume the W1 could win on high due to it size, but I am totally wrong.

This W1 has solid build quality and sound good. The price is very affordable for this level of quality and performance. The size is very small and this is the selling point for this driver. My planning is to install in the original tweeter placement for clean installation.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

1 comment:

  1. For sure you didn't broke them in, that's why the HF is not so good

    ReplyDelete