October 26, 2014

Tripath TK2050 Amplifier Kit Review (Part 1)

The Tripath amplifier is IC manufacture that specialized making high efficiency amplifier. Tripath patent it with the name of class-T amplifier. It is basically a PWM digital processing that found in most class D amplifier, although they claimed it is better.

Because this Tripath is an IC based amplifier which come in finish board, this easily become the new star in DIY audio. It is simple to build and have a good the sound quality. This Tripath amplifier only supply with single rail DC, commonly only with 12 volt. The one I have right now is Tripath TK2050 amplifier which cost me only US$25 in this complete board.

 
Few month ago, I am curious about this Tripath sound performance. This kit is not available widely at my local store. I also don't have any interest to import it from eBay. Just one day, when I asking from one of my local forum member, then he offering this kit. The price is the same like the pricing on eBay. So I bought it.

The PCB board made from 1.2 mm thick. It using low quality electrolytic capacitors. Quick check to the others components such as the resistors, they are low grade SMD type. There is no hope for me to to change this SMD resistor to the better one, because most of SMD resistor available here is Yageo brand manufacture from China. I know it will better than what in this kit, but the difference in sound quality compares my struggle to change those tiny resistors are not equal. I also dig up my storage bin and see what I can find any better suitable capacitors to replace them.

 

I remove all the capacitors on this board. except for the inductors, I leave as is, because I don't have any idea to upgrade them.

 

If I going deep to this amplifier kit, there is 2 IC that make this kit working. The TK2050 under the big heatsink is pair with TC2000 as the analog to PWM converter. The TK2050 is convert the PWM from TC2000 and amplify it to drive the speakers.

TC2000 required 5 volt from a positive regulator IC 7805. The output from this regulator is filtered by one low grade 10 uF SMD capacitor. I pull up this capacitor and replace it with the same value but using Sanyo Oscon.

The input capacitors is also low grade electrolytic capacitors. Because this kit came in small PCB size, I cannot expect it to have the large film capacitors. So I will replace them with the same electrolytic capacitor type, but with the audio grade capacitor from Elna SIlmic ARS. This input coupling capacitors is a sensitive components that determined the sound quality.

 

 

This is the upgrade that I did so far.

I still need few parts to complete it which can be find on the part 2 here



Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

2 comments:

  1. Saya masih newbie dan tidak berani utk mencopot SMD caps 10uF tsb. Jika tidak saya copot SMD capsnya, tetapi saya tambahkan elco langsung di pin 7805 apakah hasilnya akan bagus pak? Terima kasih

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hai Pak, bisa saja dengan penambahan caps namun hitungan nilai jadi lebih besar. Caps lama dicabut karena ripple rejection dari brand OS-Con lebih baik dalam sistim supply digital.

      Delete